Saying goodbye to a place that changed your life is never easy. This past week, I did that--packing half my life in boxes and two suitcases. For years my job's moved me all over the country, forcing me to leave a lot of what means the most in a nice-sized one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan. But keeping it up proved too challenging, especially now I'm permanently in Michigan.So this week I travelled to the city to pack it up and move it out. And it broke my heart. I love New York City. I moved there as a scrappy redneck from North Carolina looking for more out of life. The move was on a whim with $200 dollars in my pocket. I waited tables and literally slept on a pallet of sheets and towels in a friend's small closet.
While living there, I served stars at Rockefeller Plaza, poured Margaritas at a famous Mexican eatery, worked for a major bank and played a small role in the internet boom of the late 90's. I eventually landed in the Australian Outback (a lucky turn I'll write about soon, I'm sure) and that launched me to a whole new level.

Ten years of good, bad, terrifying and simply exhilarating antics. People, places and events that grew me into a man. I eventually made it out of that small closet (insert joke here) to a future I can't wait to experience. Closing a door is sometimes tough, especially the one to this lovely apartment. But it's something I had to do to move on.
Peace Out, NYC. I'll be back. Until then, my NY'er friends need to make room for my visits. I'll take the couch, maybe even the floor. But don't even think about shoving me in a closet again. Those days are over.
No comments:
Post a Comment